The Los Angeles Opera seeks an Associate Wigmaster. This is a full-time, seasonal contract position. The Associate Wigmaster reports to the Wigmaster and assists with operation and administration of the Wig & Make-Up Department and the preparation and presentation of wigs and make-up for stage use.
Applicants must have a minimum of 3 years’ professional experience in wigs and make-up at a supervisory level for the live stage, preferably in opera; 3 years’ professional experience as a principal wig & make-up artist or hairdresser; 3 years’ professional experience constructing wigs and facial hair. A cosmetology license and/or applicable advanced education would be a plus.
Candidates should demonstrate:
- the ability to supervise day-to-day operations, administration, planning and scheduling as needed
- a high standard of theatrical production procedures and techniques
- knowledge of historical periods and their appropriate hairstyles
- knowledge of prosthetics and basic special effects for the stage
- in-depth knowledge and working experience of wig and facial hair construction and maintenance for stage, telecast and film, including the ability to interpret and realize designs
- the ability to construct a high volume of wigs and facial hair efficiently, within a limited time period, to high standards
- knowledge of hair styling and maintenance for stage, telecast and film, including the ability to interpret and realize designs
- working knowledge of general and advanced make-up application (beauty, character, prosthetics and basic special effects) for stage, telecast and film, including the ability to interpret and realize designs
- the ability to supervise a large staff
- strong organizational and administrative skills
- the ability to work under pressure, within a tight time schedule
- the ability to work independently and follow instructions with a minimum amount of supervision
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to Jenny Green, Costume Director, email@example.com